Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Brian Jonestown Massacres the Ogden

Recently my guitarist told me to watch the documentary ‘Dig!’. He said it would be a great thing for me to see as we start to write our new album and try to make the big time. What I watched on ‘Dig’ was 2 bands (the Brian Jonestown Massacre and the Dandy Warhols) struggle with stardom, conflicting personalities and rivalry. Seems as if the antics of Anton (the leader of BJM) destroy every opportunity for financial success, maybe because he is drunk/high on drugs, or maybe just because he can not conform to what the record labels need him to do. His overall attitude and intense creative juices push the two bands apart and show the ups and downs of trying to make it in the music world without compromising your sound and ideas.
The Brian Jonestown Massacre is now coming to our lovely Ogden theater tomorrow night. They also made an appearance this past summer at the Monolith festival at Red Rocks, where I hear Anton threw a microphone into the crowd (so you might want to wear your boarding helmet if you attend). One fan writes,
“I had never seen Brian Jonestown Massacre in concert until I had the good fortune of seeing them at the Monolith Music Festival at the famous Red Rocks venue last September, and it was quite the event. Anton was his impossible self as usual, berating the crowd and band members alike (and making me think he'd call it off at any time--he did walk off the stage several times, only to return), but when the band played, it sounded magical.”
So…we’ll see how tomorrow goes. Many of my ‘music friends’ have expressed interests in the show and have told me its something I have to see. I am a big fan of the psychedelic music experience, and after watching ‘Dig!’ I think the sound will be right up my alley….and when the band could act out at any time, that’s a combination that could make a great visual and audio show.

On a brief and separate note check out Jon B's interview at the Ogden before his show this past Saturday night.

WATCH VIDEO!

0 comments: